Thursday, October 21, 2010

Fall Harvest Salad





I love fall. I know, those leaves turning means I have to put on a jacket and socks, which I hate. But it's hard not to enjoy the leaves and the cool days. Fresh apples and pears. My annual pumpkin worship rituals.

After a day of pumpkin patch exploring and soccer games, we were just insane enough to have company for dinner in an already overbooked day. Fortunately we had the most gracious of guests — folks that wanted only soup and salad. Brought wine and gifts, AND send you a thank you card the next day. For soup and salad.

Granted it was a good salad.

Fall Harvest Salad
3 cups greens, mixed arugula and spinach.

1 apple, sliced
1 pear, sliced
2 clementine oranges, sectioned
1 pomegranate, seeded (yes, in advance)
Pumpkin seeds, 4 tbs.
White stilton with lemon peel, 2 oz.

Dressing:
1/2 cup lemon olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
3 tbs. honey
1/4 cup white balsamic
Salt and pepper to taste

This serves 4 adults and one kid along with a cup of soup for a light fall meal. If you cannot find the Stilton with lemon peel, just use plain white stilton and zest the lemon used in the dressing over the top of the salad.

Other favorite salads for this season:

5 comments:

Carina said...

This sounds great...and I have all the ingredients at home for dinner tonight! But just one question...I've never been able to seed a pomegranate gracefully. Any suggestions? Is there a way to do it that I've never been taught?

ExpatChef said...

No graceful way, really. I cut it in half, the pull the skin back. If you seed it into a bowl of water, the membrane bits will float to the top, making it easier to discard those. Don't wear a white shirt. :)

Carina said...

Yeah...I made the salad last night. Delicious, of course. But my daughter's school project now has little pink dots all over it. We're calling it decoration.

Tracy said...

Haven't eaten a salad for a week, i'm craving for a good one=)

Anonymous said...

the recipe sounds great! and the ingredients are just in my fringe now! need a cv help?