Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Recommended Reading

If you have not read this article in the New York Times about commercially raised and slaughtered beef, you need to. Thank you, Costco, for testing your beef independent of the suppliers — even when suppliers like Tyson will no longer sell to you because you care about your customers.

And, Cargill, what's with treating meat with ammonia during processing, and still having it contaminated? Not just with E. coli now, but ammonia, too? This meat was used for school lunches. Your meat patties were also the source of the E. coli that sickened the article subject.

Favorite quote in the article, Dr. Kenneth Peterson on why the department could mandate testing, but that it needed to consider the impact on companies as well as consumers.
“I have to look at the entire industry, not just what is best for public health,” Dr. Petersen said.
Dr. Kenneth Petersen, is an assistant administrator with the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service. I see FOOD SAFETY in his title which kind of means public health, right? I did not see, CORPORATE PROFITS AND BEST INTEREST in his title. The man is a doctor. Did he take the hippocratic oath or the hypocritic oath?

Wow. I quit posting as much on these issues because I got overwhelmed by it. But, when I read things like this, I can't not post on it. We consumers need to know. If our own government agencies won't protect our interests over corporate interests, then maybe its time for justifiable lawsuits directly against these companies by the consumers who have been sickened. This needs to end.

3 comments:

Mara from Motherofalltrips said...

I read that article when it was published and once again swore I would only feed my family meat from our local butcher - meat I know the provenance of. Period.

Darrel Mally said...

This is terrifying. I've been sickened by food poisoning before, but never E.coli; yet still what I had was horrible enough. For a USDA official to blatantly state that the profits of Cargill are more important than my health is deeply upsetting. I believe it is finally time for me to go out and get a Costco membership.

Expatriate Chef said...

Thanks, yes, it is frightening. Enough incidents have occurred that folks are starting to contemplate the issues. We consumers have to look out for ourselves.