Friday, October 03, 2008

Volunteers of America

I got to play hooky from work last week in order to do some community service. Nearly 400 of us painted, planted trees and did landscaping for three local schools. The surrounding neighborhood, as you can imagine, was not the best. The time outdoors gave me a while to look around and think.

Many of the folks in this community are struggling hard to get by, much less deal with repairs or major improvements. These are the people hurt most by food and gas prices. People who work hard, but are still sliding into debt just to survive.

I'm looking ahead to November. I am thinking about these people, about all of us. About hope.

I am also thinking about the power of community. Of what can happen if each of us gives just one day to help others. Of the difference we can make, all of us, together.

I am looking ahead. I am hoping for the best.

2 comments:

jen said...

it's all we can do, it's that big and that important.

Anonymous said...

We're in the same boat here, but we do what we can. I'm ferrying food around to the old folk. We just gotta keep smiling and hang in there.
Lesley