Monday, August 04, 2008

What's for Lunch? Lunch Packing Tips


School will be back in session before you know it. After battling our preschool over their menus, I gave up. We pack lunch daily. For me, too. It saves money, which is really important right now for us all. It also guarantees your child will at least have a chance at a healthy meal. Schools are cutting back as well, which means quality usually goes first. Unless, of course, you are a high school in France. Steamed mussels for $3.00/day? I'm in.

Here's a typical lunch for my Kiddo on a week where I don't have something sexy to put in the Bento. The meal generally includes:

1 oz. of lean meat
1 oz. cheese
1 small slice wholegrain bread, here with honey
2 kinds of fruit, in season, berries and peaches
green beans with Balsamic dressing for dipping
Red pepper and cucumber sticks
8 oz. milk

Each day, I try for a fruit, a vegetable, protein, a wholegrain or pasta. I also try to have at least three colors in the box, colors of foods that is. It's always a good idea to plan for lunches when you make your grocery list. If red pepper sticks are a favorite, cut plenty for the week and store for quick lunch prep. Think about foods that don't require heating. Use an ice pack to keep food at a safe temperature until lunchtime.

A few recipes in this site that are good for lunch box sides:
Summer Vegetable Fritters
Carrot-Raisin Slaw
Soyccatash
Lima Bean Hummus (it's good, really!)

3 comments:

MamaBird said...

Yum, thanks! You know I love those lunch tips...and I got some metal bento boxes at Daiso in CA on my travels. Yippeee!

Rachel said...

those bento boxes look adorable. I'll have to keep my eye out for when Jess goes off to primary school. In the meantime, she has those homemade lunches at her creche. On Thursday, Jess'll be eating veal risotto for lunch and home-made hummus and fresh veg for afternoon snack...

JHS said...

Thanks for participating in this week's Carnival of Family Life hosted at All Rileyed Up tomorrow, Monday, August 11, 2008!