Monday, July 07, 2008

On Onions


Few vegetables make it into as many dishes as the humble onion. Too often, their role is just a background player, a walk-on part. Add a bit of heat, and a bit of sweet, however, and this ubiquitous root aromatic turns a starring role.

Caramelized onions are pretty easy to make and offer a huge payoff in flavor. I posted recently on how to use these and just a few other ingredients to make a week's menu. Here are a couple more easy, yet incredibly good recipes that start with the caramelized onions.

Usually dishes with greens are your tough sells to kids. The first bite of this is the hardest obstacle. It was met with a "Mmmm! Good!" Then, "More Cheese!"

Well, cheese is tough competition. Especially when you just don't have any filters like "Oh, greens are good for me, I need to eat these. I'd be all over the cheese, too. I never even touched greens until I was an adult. I figure, we're way ahead here.

Caramelized Onions and Chard Saute
Guinness-Cheddar-Caramelized Onion Burgers
Looking for this recipe? It will be part of an upcoming book with Ali at Cleaner Plate Club.

Another recipe with caramelized onions:
Cooked and Raw Salad ala Lidia

1 comment:

Chef Tom said...

mmmMMMM! Those burgers sound amazing!