Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Whole Hog: Zucchini Bacon Fritters




I used the rest of our local, natural bacon, sauteing the last three slices with turnip and beet greens. I liked the bacon-wrapped asparagus pretty well, though it could use some kind of sweet-tangy sauce to complete the dish. The thick-cut bacon is tough to wrap, but well worth the effort.

My favorite recipe from this pound of bacon was a fritter I threw together using the first of the summer squash in the CSA bag. Zucchini is like the vegetable version of kudzu vine, you can't eat them faster than they grow. The one in last week's pickup was of the size and shape to inspire rude comments, and a bit of fear. Looks like I will be making some more Chocolate-Zucchini Bread with Pistacios.

The fritters are another great way to use up a much smaller zucchini.


Zucchini-Bacon Fritters
Looking for this recipe? It will be part of an upcoming book with Ali at Cleaner Plate Club.

This is the bacon that makes me understand why people love bacon. It's so good, I am thinking I will gift wrap a pound of it for a friend's birthday. Now, not everyone can appreciate a raw slab of bacon for a gift, but this friend will. Especially if I include a few salmonella-free homegrown tomatoes for a BLT.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

that looks fantastic, B. We get great thick-cut bacon around here. I'd love to do your recipe with a bit of an Asian twist - some scallions, and maybe a sweet plum dipping sauce? But soooo tasty looking!

Hot Garlic said...

I am a first time visiter from blogher. The title of your blog caught my eye since I am both an expatriate and foodie too! I would love to know more about your experience, where you were and why and how the experience was for you.

I just took a quick browse, your food looks beautiful and delicious. I will be back for more.

We live in Sydney now, but were in Seoul and Taipei previously.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I make vegetarian zucchini fritters. But the thought of crispy bacon is irresistible!

Rachel said...

sydney, hey!? I'm an expat American who now lives Melbourne after stints in Paris and London. Ms. Expat Chef certainly attracts a diverse audience!

Expatriate Chef said...

I have this crazy knack for attracting Aussies. It's a sign. I have a place to stay in Sydney now, as well. Look out, Oz.

ChristieNY said...

I just made these Zucchini Bacon Fritters and had the first one hot off the pan - HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the wonderful recipe and your amazing website.

Expatriate Chef said...

Hey thanks! It's all these great comments that keep me motivated to post! Much appreciate your visits here.