Sunday, June 08, 2008

Kohlrabi, What to Do With Something New


Trust me, I've had my share of culinary misadventures. I've learned. One important lesson? If you are going to try somethings new, sometimes it's better to cook it yourself.

This rather odd vegetable is one of two new items I picked up at the farmers market. I like to buy the unique items because it supports farmers who are willing to grow these things.

Kohlrabi is not too challenging really. The name is a hybrid of German and German Swiss words that mean "cabbage" and "turnip." The flavor is right in that ballpark. Somewhere between radish and jicama would be another accurate description.

I racked my brain trying to figure out how to fix it. Funny thing, the answer is usually the same, look at the other items in season. I got a huge head of Savoy cabbage at the market as well, and red onion. Add a few carrots and dressing, and you get a tangy slaw.

I took a light hand on the mayo as well as the sugar. I didn't want to overpower the flavor.

Tangy Kohlrabi Slaw
Looking for this recipe? It will be part of an upcoming book with Ali at Cleaner Plate Club.

3 comments:

Rina the Mama Bear said...

Just wondering if you are posting the Carnival of the Recipes or am I looking on the wrong blog?

Pam said...

When I found kohlrabi in my CSA box, I also turned it into a slaw. Great minds think alike!

Rachel said...

thanks a million, B!! I've got a dozen kohlrabi growing in the backyard - I can really use the recipes!