Friday, March 07, 2008

That's It, We're Moving to France

Limagrain, Europe's largest seed cooperative, is moving its research tests on genetically modified organisms to the United States, specifically about 1,000 tests on GM crops this year alone in Illinois.

Part of the reason for the move is the strongly anti-GM sentiment of the French citizens who requested a ban on commercial use of Monsanto’s 810 GM strain of corn. Repeated attacks by activists on the test fields were also a concern.

The U.S. will not only welcome the companies research division, Biogemma, and the GM crop tests, but U.S. farmers are even eligible for crop insurance discounts, approved by the U.S. government, if they can prove they've planted enough biotech corn.

Some disturbing news with regard to GM crops is the rapid rise of resistant pests and weeds to the GM strains — more rapid adapting than what is normally seen with conventional pesticides and herbicides.

Perhaps it is time to say au revoir to the fairly screwed Big Ag system here in the states and hello to a return to being an Expat. Don't think the spouse would mind. And the Kiddo? When I tell her that in France, preschoolers get served a cheese plate with lunch, she'll be ready to roll. Check the menu for yourself, Lamb and Couscous Tagine for the under-fives.

Hey, KatieZ, know a good place for us to settle in?

7 comments:

Rachel said...

France??? Nooooo!!! You must migrate to Australia so we can buy adjoining properties with big backyards and shared kitchen gardens! C'mon! OK, yes, we have a problem with fighting GM crops, but we can grow great local food, like, 10 months of the year! And wine! We got great wine! And beaches! Well, not in Melbourne, but close!

Not that there's anything wrong with France. I loved living in France - it's where I fell in love with eating local. But if you're gonna move, move to Oz, B!!! Jess and Kiddo are already basically twins-separated-by-a-year! ;-)

Rachel said...

Plus, have I got a job for you: wanna work with the Stephane Alexander Kitchen Foundation? She's a celebrity chef who established a program that establishes kitchen gardens at primary schools, does lessons on organic produce, cooking, botany, etc. They're hiring...

wildhawk said...

I came across your blog through a food article in Grist, which then brought me here, and then took me to your letter to Hillary on Celsias. After all this, I felt compelled to write. I'm in awe of the research that went into the Hillary letter and how well you hooked it up. You also need to to add commentator to your list of interests.

I'm somewhat stunned by some of the commonality there is between our experiences and interests. First and foremost I'm a foody and VERY good cook and so concerned about what we eat that the majority of our food is scratch home cooked and baked that has been purchased from the local farmers and at the local farmer's market.

I'm licking my chops at the thought of trying your lamb/blackberry dish, and the black beans with sweet potatoes.

Progressive politics are a passion and just because I'm an older woman, I feel absolutely no obligation/desire to vote for a woman for president. For me, your Hilliary letter was just another nail in her coffin.

I have an expat daughter living in Denmark who shares my love of cooking and food. I can't wait to share your blog with her.

I look forward to reading more on your blog and trying your recipes.

Wildhawk

The Expatriate Chef said...

Thanks, glad you found me here. I can't take credit for Celcius' letter, but I certainly agree with many of her points! Hope to see you around the site!

MamaBird said...

Thanks for the Carnival, I am so glad you hosted as I never would have come across your blog otherwise. Love it. I am no expert chef but am a passionate lover of good food and food info. Plus I do love to cook. Also? Love the Paper Bag Princess and spent many years daydreaming of rewriting all the drivel in my child's books so my head would not explode. Much agreement on the 3s assessment. Careful about wishing for redemption from the 4s though (maybe just in our case).

The Expatriate Chef said...

Glad you dropped by MamaBird, interesting bit on the sand box sand label from the carnival. I enjoyed reading your blog as well.

katiez said...

How about right here in the middle of farm country?
Land is cheap and the gardens are huge! I do have to smuggle my sweet corn seeds in - but I buy heirloom varieties...
Eating local is definitely how it works here - the other stuff just isn't available. I'm sure it is in the cities but not out here in the sticks. And of course there's cheese with lunch - all the schools have a proper 3 course lunch! - oh, and tell her there's no school on Wed. afternoons... ever!