Monday, March 10, 2008

Coconut Cardamom Tapioca


We're fortunate to not have any food allergies around here. I forget, at times, but Rachel always reminds me. Now, I can't help but assess each recipe I work on for allergens and who might be allergic. I stumbled on this one, I was improvising off the package directions for tapioca (a personal favorite comfort food) when I realized, hey, this is egg-free custard! And, dairy-free and even gluten-free. Vegan, even. Triple bonus. I am going to stash away the recipe in case we ever have company with special dietary needs.

Coconut Cardamom Tapioca
2-1/2 cups water
3 tbs. small pearl tapioca
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise
2 green cardamom pods
1-1/2 cups coconut milk
1 tsp. almond extract
3 tbs. sugar
pinch salt

Bring water and spices to a boil. Add tapioca pearls and stir as you add to prevent sticking or clumping. Boil the mixture for about 20 minutes. Carefully remove spices. Add sugar and pinch of salt, stir to dissolve. Add coconut milk and almond extract and stir well. Bring back up to a boil and reduce to a simmer, stirring to prevent sticking, for about ten minutes. Cool and refrigerate. I served ours with dark chocolate shavings on top. Nice addition.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

that looks absolutely delicious. I'm going to give it a go this weekend. I love custard and puddding, so it's been hard not introducing this to Jess! Thanks, B!