Saturday, March 22, 2008

Chocolate-coconut Tapioca

I decided to make dessert tonight, one of those instant decisions with just a few minutes to throw something together. I still had the small pearl tapioca around from the last egg-free dessert experiment. This time, I thought I would try and use up some of our hot chocolate mix as well.

First of all, the mix is designed to be used with cream, not water or even milk. It's a dark chocolate one, fair trade, organic. It's finally no longer hot chocolate season, and I didn't want it to go to waste. The mix does not contain any milk products. I say that because I did take a vegan approach with this recipe as well as the first.

Chocolate-Coconut Tapioca

2-1/2 cups water
3 tbs. small pearl tapioca
3 tbs. dark chocolate hot chocolate mix (Allegro)
1-1/2 cups coconut milk
2 tbs. sugar or honey
pinch salt

Bring water to a boil. Add tapioca pearls and stir as you add to prevent sticking or clumping. Boil the mixture for about 20 minutes. Add sugar and pinch of salt, and hot chocolate mix, stir to dissolve. Add coconut milk and stir well. Bring back up to a boil and reduce to a simmer, stirring to prevent sticking, for about ten minutes. Cool and refrigerate. It takes like what a "Mounds" bar would taste like if it were made with good ingredients and a custard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where do you buy your tapica purls? I live in the KC area. Thanks