Friday, November 09, 2007

What a Long Strange Week It's Been

Monday brought the surprise ambush of being a finalist in the Weblog Awards. Between that and the debate this week on the Farm Bill, it's been hard to concentrate around the Kitchen.

To make things a bit stranger, on Wednesday we were driving home from our last CSA pickup. This is also referred to as Pizza! by the Kiddo as we get pizza and ice cream out on the evening. Kiddo usually opts for a brightly-frosted cupcake and eats part of our ice cream. So, driving home, she's eaten part of the frosting off the thing, and says, "Here, Mommy, I don't want it. I want some edamame."

I nearly drove off the road. Child passes up chocolate cupcake for green vegetable. That's big. Granted, the cupcake is not so good, dry and with that metallic aroma to the chocolate that screams "Box Mix!" But still.

Here it is Friday and the debate is still going on for the Farm Bill. Voting is done on the Weblogs. I netted out at fourth. I have to say it was a much closer race than I thought it would be. I have all of you to thank for that. Thank you so much. And, given what we were up against, fourth is not bad at all.

The winner was Serious Eats. Started by Ed Levine, a food book author twice over. The site has a staff of six and has revenue from advertising that supports rich features and even content from Mario Batali. Even so, this site only got 20 percent of the votes.

Coming in as a close second was Epicurious.com. This site is not so much a blog as the online home base for Gourmet and Bon Apetit magazines. The site has rich features for users to save recipes from a huge database and has a couple blog features in the site written by magazine staff and celebrity chefs like Rick Bayless. Epicurious netted 17.6 percent of the vote.

Third place goes to Heidi Swanson's 101 Cookbooks. She posts recipes from top cookbooks as well as a few of her own, being a known cookbook author. The site has won multiple awards in the past. 101 Cookbooks got 11.9 percent of the vote. Less than one percent more votes than this site.

And here we are at fourth. Hey, not bad for a rookie with a day job and an editorial staff of one. With 11.1 percent of the vote, I am excited and grateful to all of the peers, friends, family, coworkers and the amazing grassroots support of all the local food folks from those in my hometown to those across the country. These folks included such great sites as Ethicurean, Mother Talkers, and Kid's Cuisine from the Well Fed Network. I have all of you to thank for helping me get the eat local message out to a wider audience. You are heroes.

But wait! There's more! Just like Ginsu knives, the deals just get better around here. This weekend I will be hosting Weekend Herb Blogging, a gathering of great recipes from cooks around the world that all center around an herb. The recipes look amazing so far and it will be well worth the click back here to get them.

6 comments:

katiez said...

Congratulations!!! With that kind of professional competition you should be doing cartwheels of jubilation...or, at least uncorking a nice bottle of something!

Pam said...

I am a new viewer but I voted for you. I felt it was unfair for the "professionals" to be in the running. As a cook and gardener in the KC area, I will be looking forward to viewing your site and trying your recipes. It makes me think that I could do this, but I am not sure where you find the time!

The Expatriate Chef said...

Thanks, all. The web is the great equalizer. While I don't have the resources, or time like the big sites, I can do my best to put quality recipes and content out. I have to cook for home, I just share the food with all of you!

tut-tut said...

Well, pat yourself on the back. You have a great site and it resonates with so many. I voted for you!! 4th against these biggies is no small potatoes . . .

mamagotcha said...

Well done! It's been fun watching your site grow and gain the appreciate it deserves.

The Expatriate Chef said...

Thank you all so much! This site has been my one and only "me time" pursuit and the joy it brings me is meeting all of you and seeing your comments and your sites as well for everyone that has one.