Monday, October 29, 2007

A Twist on Pesto

I read this post, a review of a cooking and nutrition guide by Ann Cooper and Lisa Holmes, Lunch Lessons, Changing the Way We Feed Our Children. Ann Cooper is most known for her work with Alice Waters and the Edible Schoolyard movement and bringing fresh, local produce to school lunch programs. I have not read the book yet, but it promises some good ideas for packed lunches and I plan on buying it.

The post had a recipe in it for broccoli pesto. It sounded good, but I knew I would miss the basil and "herbness" of pesto. We love fresh herbs. So I took a "lunch lesson" from the authors, but reworked the approach even as I was making the recipe.

Broccoli and Herb Pesto
Looking for this recipe? It will be part of an upcoming book with Ali at Cleaner Plate Club.

I didn't start with the idea of lemon in mind. But when I tasted the mixture to season it, it lacked a brightness that you get with all-basil pesto. It needed something to counter the "green" broccoli flavor and the bite of the parsley. I thought, now what would pick up parsley and broccoli? Lemon! My husband was kind enough to make a dash to the store in mid-recipe. And, this version was born. I served it over a whole wheat linguine for an easy dinner side dish. I still have enough left to freeze for using on pizza or pasta this winter. A great way to save some of my local produce for a cold, gray day.

1 comment:

frugalmom said...

I have this book on hold at the library. I cant wait to get it.