Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Meat is Not the Only Thing that is Full of Shit

After a record 16 recalls of contaminated meat this year, the Agriculture department announces it's "tough" new plan on solving the problem: "a nationwide survey of what meat plants are doing to fight E. coli."

The department also plans to send special assessment teams to problem plants and "urge them to adopt more stringent measures." Hmm. Are they going to skip the "pretty please" when they do the urging? Is that tough enough?

Maybe I am just naive, but if you already know what causes the problem, and how to avoid the problem, why not just take mandatory action across the board and fix it?

Another meaty tidbit: Agriculture department inspectors were in the Topps plant, the largest of the recalls, daily for at least 1-2 hours per day even as the contaminated meat was produced. No citations were issued.

5 comments:

mpg said...

This is a genius heading - and it's why I only eat local organic meat now - worth the cost.

I love your blog!

Rachel said...

I always thought becoming a vegetarian was an ethical/philosophical decision - you did it because you were fundamentally opposed to eating meat, or something along those lines. I never thought I'd consider going vegetarian because I can't bloody well trust that the meat on my plate may sicken myself or my family.

I'm definitely going to source organic meat, but I also think I'm going to up the number of vegetarian meals we consume. Which is a damn shame, because I love nothing more than a nice steak. Or piece of lamb. Pork? Yum. You get the idea.

The Expatriate Chef said...

Thanks, mpg.

Rachel, is meat production any better in Oz than it is here? I always believed it was.

Rachel said...

I was wondering the same thing. I'll have to poke around and do some research. I know we don't have nearly as many recalls, nor have I heard of a nationwide recall for minced meat, either. That probably signifies something.

katiez said...

12 times!!!!!????!!!! Is nobody doing their job?
The ineptitude is really scary... or is everyone getting paid off?
We have photos of the farmers hanging above the meat counter saying where the meat comes from.