Monday, October 08, 2007

Fall Minestrone



I went to the dining table to try and find the right squash for a soup recipe. Since it was not going to be primarily a squash soup, I didn't want to carve into one of the monsters. I opted for a smaller variety, the Turks Turban. It has an odd shape like an upside-down mushroom with three prongs instead of stem. Had I read up on this thing, I might not have cooked it. It seems to have gotten a bad rap for not having the same sweet flesh as it's cousins. It is mostly valued as decorative for its bizarre shape and deep reddish-orange and green colors.

I figured out something was different pretty quick when I cut into it. It smelled fresh and green like cucumber and celery mixed together. I decided I better eat a raw bite before I screwed up a whole batch of soup. Not bad, actually. Not your typical sweet "orange" flavor, but I am good with different. Perhaps it's not great for eating solo, but the soup turned out great.

The unique flavor of the squash balanced the sweet in the sweet potatoes and the bitter of the mustard greens. The balance is rounded out with rich, fresh-shelled purple hull peas. The fresh peas hold their texture well and stay al dente in the soup, giving it good texture with the squash. I will make this recipe again, maybe trying a different squash to see how the flavor changes.

Fall Harvest Soup
Looking for this recipe? It will be part of an upcoming book with Ali at Cleaner Plate Club.

1 comment:

tut-tut said...

That looks like the perfect fall soup! And I'm all for including greens.