Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Basil-Mint Cucumbers



Here's one for Rachel over in Oz, facing the arrival of summer and a backyard full of mint. We got a little bit of summer left here as noted in the presence of two little cucumbers in the CSA bag along with the other summer staples of tomatoes, peppers and zucchini.

All I normally think about when I see cukes is Greek salad, tzatziki, and pickles. But with mint on my mind and cuke in hand, I decided to try something different. Call it an un-pickle. Call it what you will, even the kiddo ate her share of these.

Basil-Mint Cucumbers
1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced into 1/2-inch by 3 inch strips
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
2 tbs. sugar
1 tbs. chopped fresh mint
1 tbs. chopped fresh basil
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)

Mix the vinegar and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Pour on the cucumbers and sprinkle with the fresh herbs and red pepper. Cover and store in fridge for a couple hours until chilled and the flavors marry. Serve chilled.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Genius, Beth!! Not only do I have the rampant mint (I swear, it's now overflowing the pot and making a break for the border), I'm getting cucumber seeds in the near future from my seed catalogue. So I'll have an abundance of both (I hope!). I love, love, love cucumber salad.

The Expatriate Chef said...

Hope you like the recipe! My best to you.

Rachel said...

yum. I'm planning on buying some salmon this weekend; I think I'll make this to go on the side...

Rachel said...

yum. I'm planning on buying some salmon this weekend; I think I'll make this to go on the side...