Thursday, August 30, 2007

Thursday Thirteen: Is Parenting Permanent Damage?

An article in MSN (via Redbook) states that an infant's cries and feedback actually cause a mother's brain to change in order to become a better parent for his specific needs. So, it's my brain, too? Not just our lifestyle, sex life, financial situation, vocabulary and sleep patterns? Come to think of it, I have noticed some new traits in myself since becoming a parent. I had chalked these up to conditioning from learned helplessness.
  1. I've grown accustomed to being sticky all the time. I don't even try to figure out the source anymore.
  2. I will leave the house in much the same state as when I got up, bed head and all. More than once, I have found out later that part of my clothing was on inside out. On a good day, it's just my underwear.
  3. I no longer cringe at consuming partially eaten food off her plate, some bits I look forward to.
  4. I've used the car window as a hair dryer on my commute. And thought the resulting "style" looked okay.
  5. I have a remarkable threshold for caffeine that defies scientific reason.
  6. I've memorized every one of the Clifford books, and now make up new story lines just to amuse myself.
  7. I like watching Old School Sesame Street more than my child does.
  8. I have suddenly remembered all the lyrics to stupid childhood songs. And I thought that trick was only good for the theme song to Gilligan's Island.
  9. I will sing. In public. And this is frightening to all of us. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
  10. I can continue about my day no matter what and how much of a substance (usually, not always, food) has been spilled on me.
  11. I remembered how funny it is to fart out loud (yeah, in public) and shout, "I pooted!" while laughing.
  12. I have more fun than my child does when we play chase through the house. I worry about having to grow up and play dolls soon, 'cause that game will require me to think.
  13. I eat things off the floor even though I am the only one who knows just how filthy it is. We don't have a dog.
If anyone has seen the full study from this research, please let me know. I am quite concerned that some of these changes may be permanent.

You can find a link to this post (I hope) and others at the upcoming week's carnivals. Last week's features were mentioned in:

The Carnival of the Recipes: Let's-Do-Lunch Edition
The Carnival of Family Life, Dubai Edition
The Vegetarian Carnival #6
91st Carnival of the Green at Green Options

2 comments:

Corey~living and loving said...

WOW...we are so alike. I think I have permanent damage too. eeeekkkk....

The Expatriate Chef said...

Heh! I know, maybe it's a good thing, maybe we were too grown up after all!