- The pet food case has put China’s agricultural exports under greater scrutiny.
- The country has had a terrible food safety record.
- China’s recent food safety scandals include: fake baby milk formulas; soy sauce made from human hair; cuttlefish soaked in calligraphy ink; and eels fed contraceptive pills for growth.
- Chinese officials deny that melamine from the country could have killed pets, but have created a ban on using the substance for export. How that ban will be enforced is not explained in the article.
- Melamine has been mixed into Chinese animal feed and then sold to unsuspecting farmers as protein-rich pig, poultry and fish feed for many years now.
Note to self, buy local poultry and pork that does not eat commercial feed...