- Children’s Nutrition Series (Intro)
- The State of Our Union’s Children
A detailed overview of what trends are occurring in our children's diets, and the factors that contribute to the issues
- Our Children Are What They Eat
A look at what our children are eating and the nutritional issues parents face.
- Why Kids Eat What They Do (or Don’t) Part I: Parents' Role
A look at all the sources of dietary influence on our children's food choices. Part I includes the parents' role in influencing our children's diets.
- Why Kids Eat What They Do (or Don’t) Part II: Outside Influences
A look at all the other sources of dietary influence on our children's food choices. This includes schools, social activity, marketing, food supply, culture. The post will examine each of the outside influences and how it affects our kids.
- Food Marketing and Your Child Part I: The Small Screen with Big Impact
This topic belongs under the sources post, but it has become such a huge issue that it needs to be reviewed in depth. An estimated $12 billion is spent anually to market foods to children and youth. Often these marketing messages are targeted to pre-schoolers who are too young to be able to differentiate commercial messages from educational messages. Part I covers television advertising.
- Food Marketing and Your Child Part II: When the TV is Off, the Marketing is Still On
Part II covers all the other forms of advertising, including marketing in our schools.
- We Shall Overcome: Recommendations for Parents
A set of ten actionable steps we can take as parents to encourage a better diet and lifestyle for our children and minimize the impact of food marketing to our kids.
- Links and Resources
Want to learn more on this topic? These links and resources are a great place to start.
Wednesday, April 04, 2007
Childhood Nutrition Series: Complete Index
Wow. It's done. And I will be happy to get back to some recipes I have been working on! If you are looking for the article series, here is the index the complete set of posts: