Tuesday, July 19, 2005

At the Dinner Table

Some of my fondest memories are from the family dinner table. Somehow, glancing across the table to see your brother with a green been up his nose (deliberately) was just about the funniest thing in the world. While there were also some not happy memories like staring down a plate of calf's liver for three hours (you can't leave the table until you eat a bite ...), what I remember most is feeling like a family. What I loved most was that time together. I am sure that feeling is the core of why I love food and cooking today. Food, in that context, IS love.

That's why it is so interesting that a recent study claims that kids who grow up having dinner with the family do better on SATs and are less likely to do drugs. I'd like to find the study and will post the link here when I do. The study was quoted in a NYT article on Kurt Anderson, "Kitchen Voyeur: Kitchen Sage."

When you read about this guy, it makes the whole "I am too busy to make dinner" excuse pretty flimsy. It also renewed my commitment to making the family dinner a nightly occurence.

It's time to slow down with the constant parade of soccer and activities. Time to get back to the dinner table. With the TV off. But just don't serve liver.

No comments: